Dogs, in general, need a bath every six to eight weeks. However, some dogs would require it weekly or every two weeks if they’re active outdoors.
Yet again, owners must commit to these schedules only when necessary while using gentle dog products to prevent their pets’ skin and coat from drying.
A once-a-month bathing frequency may work, too, unless you start noticing that it over-dries or makes your dog’s fur brittle. After all, dogs need their body’s natural oils since they keep their coats lustrous and healthy.
How Often Should Your Dog be Bathed Based on Breed and Coat Type?
As a rule of thumb, dogs with high, medium, and low energy levels must be bathed as often as necessary. The same applies regardless of what kind of fur they have. After all, their bathing frequency is primarily factored by their lifestyle and coat types.
Outdoorsy, adventurous dogs that often love to roll in the mud would need their coats washed immediately, or they may end up spoiling your furniture. Meanwhile, dogs that spend most of their time indoors are usually clean and would only require a routine bath every two months.
Further, if your dog frequents the sea, river, or swimming pool, you must tone it down when it comes to giving it a bath. The last thing you’d want is for its skin to get stripped of its natural oils.
On another note, take a look at the common coat types for dogs and how often they need to get bathed:
- Smooth coat – Smooth-coated dogs typically only require a bath about 3 to 4 times yearly.
- Medium-length coat – Dog breeds exhibiting coats in medium lengths would do well if a bath takes place once monthly.
- Long coat – Dog breeds with very long coats need a bath every 2 to 3 weeks. On top of that, they might also need to be trimmed to prevent their coats from getting matted.
What Are the Benefits of Bathing Your Dog Regularly?
Regularly bathing your dog keeps it feeling comfortable and its skin and coat healthy. With the use of appropriate dog products, your dog will stay clean and free from bacteria-causing infections.
In other words, bathing reinforces a healthy surface and fur. Dogs feel better when they appear in tip-top condition, contrary to those that constantly scratch themselves due to skin rash caused by parasites, bacteria, or yeast.
Here are more benefits you should be aware of if you regularly bathe your pooch:
- It keeps its coat softer.
- It helps reduce shedding.
- It helps reduce allergens.
- It removes foul doggy odor.
- It improves your bond with your dog.
- It allows you to check if your dog has any signs of infection.
Tips on How to Bathe Your Dog Properly
The process of giving your dog a bath isn’t complicated. You only have to brush and wet its coat, apply shampoo and conditioner, rinse it off, and ensure its coat is dry. However, as easy as this routine sounds, not all dogs love getting their coats wet.
Thus, owners who want to make sure their “water-allergic” dogs, or even those who love being in the water, are properly bathed, must consider following these simple yet effective tips:
- Choose the right place for a dog bath. The size of your dog is a factor to consider when choosing where to bathe your dog. You can resort to using your kitchen sink, a doggy tub, or your bathtub. A yard is also an ideal option if your dog needs more space.
- Have all the tools and products ready. Your brush, shampoo, conditioner, towel, and blow dryer should be within reach for a seamless bathing session.
- Use dog-appropriate products. Use pet-safe dog products to complement the dog’s skin’s pH levels. This will keep your pooch from developing skin irritations.
- Ready your treats. Dogs that hate the water or are still getting accustomed to having a bath need positive reinforcement. A yummy snack will encourage them to cooperate. You can also use praise to keep the bathing experience positive.
The Best Shampoos and Conditioners for Your Dog’s Coat Health
Looking for the best shampoo and conditioner formula for your dog is challenging. With thousands of products available, only a few genuinely work for your pet’s coat. To skip the hassles and risks associated with your search, consider the following best-selling dog bath products:
The Best Shampoos for Dogs
The Best Conditioners for Dogs
You may also consult your local vet so they can recommend the most suitable shampoo and conditioner according to your dog’s unique needs.
How to Find a Reputable Mobile Dog Groomer
Finding a reputable mobile dog groomer is best done by checking out Google and Facebook reviews. People leave out real experiences and comments based on the service they got from certain mobile groomers.
You can also do thorough online research and see the best go-to websites that offer dog baths and grooming. In Singapore, one of the trusted mobile dog groomers is Likeable Pets.
They offer affordable basic to full grooming services depending on your dog’s coat type, breed, size, and location. Contact us on WhatsApp for your inquiries.
Likeable Pets is a mobile dog grooming service like no other. Countless pet owners in Singapore are left impressed by how excellent, and professional their dog groomers are. Take time to read what people have to say about Likeable Pets through their Facebook page.
Meanwhile, goggle over these amazing transformations of some pooches who have had their grooming done at Likeable Pets:
The image above shows a grey Poodle’s before and after looks, showcasing a combination of Poodle, Bell Bottom, and summer cuts.
Meanwhile, a Maltipoo got its shaggy coat trimmed to about half an inch. Its face is cleanly shaven, and the fur on the ears is long.
Lastly, here’s a Labradoodle with a neater coat appearance. Its face is more visible, and its wavy hair is slightly trimmed throughout its face and body.
Your dog will regularly need a bath for a lifetime; hence, putting it in the bathtub and lathering it using the best dog products takes effort and dedication. When you need assistance giving your dog a bath, making an appointment with a mobile dog groomer is a convenient option.
Likeable Pets is just a message away when you need its services. They will groom your dog in the comfort of your home and provide a top-notch experience throughout the session.