Brushing dog teeth is essential for puppies to maintain their overall dental health. This is because dogs can suffer from various dental issues, making dental hygiene crucial to ensure that your puppy has a healthy mouth.
Ideally, your dog should be subjected to this toothbrushing practice during puppyhood so there’s less resistance when they become adults. Regardless, any dog can be taught new things at any age with patience and dedication.
In today’s post, we are tackling properly brushing your dog’s teeth. It doesn’t matter your dog’s breed; the principles and guidelines stay the same. If it’s your first time brushing your dog’s teeth or you want to learn how to do it, we covered everything in this article.
The Importance of Brushing Your Dog’s Teeth
Brushing your dog’s teeth is more than removing leftover food stuck between them. This practice ensures there are no cavities forming in their teeth and their gums staying healthy.
The following subsections discuss these things in detail:
1. Prevention of Dental Diseases
Regular brushing helps in the prevention of dental diseases like gingivitis and periodontitis. As you know, the plaque and tartar can lead to gum inflammation in dogs. Over time, this can result in the erosion of the gums and supporting bone structures.
2. Avoidance of Costly Vet Bills
By regularly brushing your dog’s teeth, you’re taking a big step toward minimizing potential vet expenses in the future.
3. Improved Overall Wellbeing and Lifespan
A dog’s oral health is a reflection of their overall well-being. Dogs with clean teeth and healthy gums are more likely to eat without discomfort, play without pain, and enjoy a happier and potentially longer life.
Tools Needed in Brushing Dog’s Teeth
When it comes to ensuring your dog’s dental health, having the right tools can make all the difference.
While our furry friends might not always be enthusiastic about dental routines, equipping yourself with the appropriate gear can simplify the process and make it more effective.
It’s essential to use dog-specific toothpaste when brushing your dog’s teeth. Human toothpaste contains ingredients like fluoride that can be harmful to your dog.
You can find dog toothpaste in various flavors like poultry or beef, making the process more enjoyable for your pet.
A dog-specific toothbrush is another crucial tool for brushing your dog’s teeth. These toothbrushes are designed to fit the shape and size of your dog’s mouth, providing a more effective and comfortable cleaning.
There are various types of dog toothbrushes available:
- Standard dog toothbrush: This type of toothbrush has bristles on both ends, catered to different-sized teeth.
- Finger brush: A soft, flexible brush that fits on your fingertip, allowing for greater control and precision.
Steps to Brushing Dog’s Teeth
Brushing your dog’s teeth might seem daunting, but understanding the right way to approach this task is vital for your dog’s dental health.
Here’s a friendly step-by-step guide to establishing a routine for brushing your dog’s teeth, ensuring their teeth and gums stay healthy.
- Choose When to Brush Your Dog’s Teeth: Choosing the right moment to brush your dog’s teeth is vital for a smooth, stress-free experience. Opt for a time when your dog is calm, perhaps after a play session or a long walk.
- Prepare Your Tools: Gather all necessary tools to make the process seamless.
- Select a Good Spot: Choose a quiet and well-lit area where you and your dog feel comfortable
- Make Your Dog Comfortable: Begin by gently petting your dog, praising them, and giving them a belly rub to help them feel less anxious about brushing.
- Get Your Dog’s Gums and Teeth Ready: Gently rub your dog’s gums and teeth using your fingers or a towel to familiarize them with the sensation. Do this for days before introducing the toothbrush.
- Introduce the Toothbrush: Let your dog sniff and inspect the toothbrush before using it.
- Then Introduce the Toothpaste: Put a tiny amount of dog toothpaste on your finger and encourage the dog lick it then associate the taste with praise to create a positive response.
- Use the Toothbrush and Toothpaste Altogether: Once your dog is familiar with the toothbrush and toothpaste, apply a small plop of toothpaste on the brush and gently touch their teeth and gums.
- Start Brushing the Upper Teeth: Brush the upper teeth using small, circular motions. Focus on the gum line and the outer surfaces initially.
- Reach the Top Sides and the Back Teeth: Carefully move the brush along the top teeth’s sides and reach the back teeth.
- Move to the Bottom Teeth: Like the upper teeth, lift your dog’s bottom lip and brush the lower teeth. Don’t forget to focus on the gum line and outer surfaces, using gentle circular motions.
- Brush the Sides and Back Teeth: Move the brush along the sides of the bottom teeth and reach the back teeth.
- Reassure Your Dog During the Process: Continually reassure your dog with gentle praise and soothing words throughout the process.
- Give Your Dog a Treat or a Praise: Once the brushing is complete, reward your dog with a treat or praise. Positive reinforcement will help them associate teeth brushing with a rewarding experience, making it easier in future sessions.
When to Seek a Professional Groomer
It’s essential to maintain your dog’s dental health, but sometimes, you may need the assistance of a professional groomer. As a friendly guide, let’s discuss some instances when reaching out to a groomer can be helpful.
- When your dog has severe bad breath or visible tartar: While it’s normal for dogs to have some bad breath, excessively foul odor may indicate a potential oral issue. If you notice an unpleasant smell or visible tartar on your dog’s teeth, seeking a professional groomer will be wise.
- If your dog is uncooperative during brushing: Brushing a dog’s teeth can be challenging, especially if they resist your attempts. A professional groomer has the necessary techniques, tools, and experience to easily handle such situations.
- For a thorough dental cleaning: A professional groomer can provide a thorough dental cleaning beyond daily brushing. They can safely remove built-up plaque and tartar, preventing future dental issues and improving overall oral hygiene.
- Introduce your dog to teeth brushing: If you’re unfamiliar with brushing your dog’s teeth or want to introduce your dog to the routine, a groomer can offer guidance on proper techniques and tools.
Why Choose Likeable Pets?
If you’re seeking a top-tier grooming service for your beloved furbaby, look no further than Likeable Pets. As one of the region’s most sought-after pet grooming services, we have a stellar reputation and many satisfied clients. Whether you’re a proud dog parent, a cat lover, or even a rabbit enthusiast, we cater to all pets regardless of size, age, or breed.
But we don’t stop at just tooth brushing. Our comprehensive grooming package includes a refreshing bath, meticulous nail clipping, thorough ear cleaning, and more. Your pet’s comfort and wellbeing are our top priority. So, why settle for less when you can have the best?
Get a glimpse of our stunning dog makeover gallery!
Here’s an adorable Maltese dog after a grooming session. It’s certainly happy with its transformation!
And if you have a medium dog, we can also work on its needs! Look at this Labradoodle, looking calm and easy to work with, thanks to how great in handling our groomers are!
Need help with your sizable, fluffy dog? Furry dog breeds like this Chow Chow will love how our professional groomers treat them during grooming time. Since it’s also known for its stubborn streaks, owners who struggle to maintain their Chows can rely on Likeable Pets.
Caring for your dog’s dental health is essential to their overall wellbeing. By incorporating teeth brushing into your routine, you help prevent the onset of dental problems and keep your furry friend feeling their best. In addition to brushing, consider providing dental chews and toys that can help support your dog’s dental health.
On another note, when brushing your dog’s teeth, selecting the right professional is paramount. They should have the expertise to ensure a thorough yet gentle cleaning. To put your concerns to rest and ensure your dog’s dental care is in expert hands, choosing Likeable Pets is a wise choice. Reach out to us on WhatsApp at 86852360 to schedule an appointment today!